Western section of the ancient street known as Dromos. Kerameikos. Athens. Greece. The ancient road was 1600 metres in length and led from the Dipylon Gate at Kerameikos to Plato’s Academy. The road was named Dromos and was the most official road in the city as it was lined by the Demosion Sema, a state burial ground where prominent Athenians and warriors who fell in battles were put to rest. This section of the road would have been 40 meters wide. Serving as a burial ground as long ago as the 12th century BC, Kerameikos located in the ancient neighbourhood of potters contains part of the ancient city walls and the Dipylon, the main gate of Ancient Athens at a junction of the Sacred Way and Panathenaic Way. It served as a burial ground for the richest and most distinguished citizens of the city.